Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index Oakland Park Baseball
Show up every Sunday at 10:30 in parks in and around Oakland!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instant Replay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLegend
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Instant Replay Reply with quote

What do you all think? Should baseball use it? I say yes. Let's let the players decide who win games, not the umpires.
AntMoOAK
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only on disputed calls for the ball in action like last nights non homer that should been played off the wall and perhaps only as called for by a replay ump in the booth on close calls. I don't want to see it used to dispute plays like the bunt that bounced foul first. I do not want to see baseball slowed down by challenges for every little ticky tack. Unlike football where you can take a time out for wasting everyone's time, there is really no way to keep managers in check without radically changingthe game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with AntMo. Plus, baseball has lived for years without replays, and to me, missed calls by the ump are part of the game: i.e. how catchers talk to an ump and fram pitches.

Unlike football, where every play has the chance for a major ruling, baseball umps make calls that may shift momentum, but a team can usually fight back from.

I'm reffering to how football has things like holding pentalies: I heard an NFL player saying they could call that pentalty on any given play! Pass interfearance is another huge one... there is no chance in baseball for an ump to, for example, turn a ground out to short into a triple.
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see instant replay used on a very limited basis in baseball, for fair/foul calls primarily. Leave out/safe, interference/no interference, and ball/strike to the human umpires. And leave fair/foul to them too, unless a manager asks to see the replay, which would only happen on the closest of hit balls, such as the "homerun" last night. Even when a replay was actually looked at, you could install on-field screens so the whole umpire crew could gather 'round and make the decision.

- Leo Durocher
TheLegend
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
baseball has lived for years without replays, and to me, missed calls by the ump are part of the game:

I totally disagree with this assertion. I think MLB should make it's best efforts to leave the ball game in the hands of the players, and they can't say they're doing that if they flatout refuse to implement some sort of IR.

Quote:
Unlike football, where every play has the chance for a major ruling, baseball umps make calls that may shift momentum, but a team can usually fight back from.

There has been at least one (arguably more) blown call in this post-season alone that has drastically changed the outcome of the game.

Quote:

Why? With the exception of balls and strikes, which are so subjective that no amount of instant replay could really prove an umpire "wrong", I don't see any reason not to at the very least take a second look at a(ny) questionable call.
Southpaw Slim
Kenesaw Mountain Landis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I disagree with the implementation of an instant replay system in MLB, the one play that made me wish it was around was when the Devil Rays were in Boston and Schilling missed the play at first. It was bang-bang, but obviously in favor of the runner. However, after much debating, Francona was able to get the umps to reverse the call and the runner was out. Even though instant replay showed he was obviously safe, the play stood.

I think the furthest replays should enter the game is on the Diamondvision. If the giant replay screen in center field shows the play at the right angle to expose a blown call, let the umps watch it and discuss it. But don't hold up the game to debate where the fielder picked up the bunt. 99.5% of the time the umpire is right. I'll take that margin of error over an extra half hour of waiting. Although it is very desirable for the networks to have that extra 90 seconds of commercials for every replay, I doubt we will see instant replay any time this decade. Unfortunately, I can assure you all that it will become a resisted part of baseball soon thereafter. There's too much commotion about it and the way it has become an integral part of the NFL. Especially after this postseason, there will be much discussion taking place among league officials.
TheLegend
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southpaw Slim wrote:
99.5% of the time the umpire is right. I'll take that margin of error over an extra half hour of waiting.

Do these estimates have any basis in real life? I don't expect that utilizing IR would add any significant length to the game, as most of the calls that would be replayed result in "discussions" between a manager and the umpires anyway.

But, let's say these numbers are correct... would you really prefer a fast call to an accurate one? I would prefer the umpires take an extra minute to double check every questionable call than risk my team losing an out, a game, a series or a championship becuase an umpire failed to do his job.

Like seriously... Don't tell me that if you were an Angels player you wouldn't be begging for instant replay.
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLegend wrote:

Do these estimates have any basis in real life?

I'm gonna listen to the guy who loves to watch MLB and does so often over the guy who doesn't.

And if I was an Angels fan, I'd be mad over the sub .200 batting average they had in the ALCS. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index -> MLB All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: