Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index Oakland Park Baseball
Show up every Sunday at 10:30 in parks in and around Oakland!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are the A's gone ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where will the A's end up ?
Las Vegas
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Coliseum Parking Lot
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Portland (maybe Seattle's territory)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Monterrey, MX
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Uptown Oakland
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Renting or buying territorial rights from Gaints for the South Bay
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Santo Domingo, DR
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

AntMoOAK
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Are the A's gone ? Reply with quote

Where will the A's end up ? In some god forsaken place like Las Vegas ? Portland? Santa Clara (arggh) ? Do the politicos in Oaktown have the ghanas to pull it off ?
http://oaklandfans.com/ballpark/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: The goddamn Pac Bell set the bar too high Reply with quote

I think it's between the Coliseum parking lot (currently being planned, finanancing being sought, land already owned, etc) and Las Vegas. The A's are too big of a product for those other small towns, and MLB isn't ready to put a team south of the border. South Bay, Giants territory. Portland, not big enough town for a baseball team especially... getting the Mariners was even a struggle for Seattle. The northwest isn't baseball country. Uptown Oak? I cannot imagine where that site would be--it is already so densely developed. That's really the advantage to the Coliseum parking lot site.... since already owned it would eliminate so many political obstacles, like clearing already developed land such as businesses or housing. The real question is whether the financing will ever be figured out--especially with voters unwilling to finance anything after feeling burns from the Raiders in the past over the issue. Las Vegas, unfortunately, is totally plausible. I really hope not, the A's are a big part of the Bay Area for me.

It's all about Ignacio de la Fuente on the City Council. Hopefully he can get it done with the soon-to-be-new-owner Lew Wolff. At least I think that's the new guy's name.

- Leo Durocher
Southpaw Slim
Kenesaw Mountain Landis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is his name.

What many people are overlooking is the fact that West Oakland (in spots) is merely a couple of years away from a renaissance. Lots of land is being purchased between W. Oak BART and downtown, and the city is keeping better care of the streets.

Mandela Pkwy is an indicator of what's to come. (BTW, it took me like 3 minutes to remember indicator.) Commence shit-talking.
AntMoOAK
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: West Oakland Baseball Reply with quote

Piggy backing on southpaw... West Oakladn would be nice for a old fashioned basball park... I''ve always thought Raimondi Field at 20th and Wood would make a great location. Have a trolly run down Wood between Raimondi and the Oakland West BART station. Turn the SP station into a museum, fix and liven up Wood street and market it as shorcut to Emeryville (my favorite shortcut to E-ville)

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Southpaw Slim
Kenesaw Mountain Landis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And after the game, everyone can come to DeFremery to watch the post-game show!

BTW: I followed that link on the first post of this topic. Have you noticed how the new proposed field lacks a key element of Oakland history? That's right, say goodbye to our precious foul territory! And I like the look of the current outfield better as well.
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be awsome. If the A's played there, we should move our games to Wednesdays to get the $1 night! Very Happy
AntMoOAK
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas it will never happen at Raimondi... I think the city fathers and mothers have forgotton about that part of town... I can remember as a kid going to big events at thet park... now it's used for soccer games... So it looks like our only hope is for Ignacio to persuade the 'Town to rally behind the parking lot location... although yes... no more easy outs in foul territory... I can recall a many opposing rallies being stymied by the ample foul territories
Southpaw Slim
Kenesaw Mountain Landis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And without all that foul territory, how does it affect Chavez's play? Does it impact his impact as an impact?
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so. If you have a 3B with that kinda range, its a major advantage when you play in a place like that
AntMoOAK
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Does it impact his impact as an impact" WHOA... on that superb play on words I bid you all a good night...
Southpaw Slim
Kenesaw Mountain Landis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, Ant.

Bet the A's wish they'd kept Tejada now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index -> MLB All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: