Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index Oakland Park Baseball
Show up every Sunday at 10:30 in parks in and around Oakland!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now... that's just plain old wierd (NEWS)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLegend
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Now... that's just plain old wierd (NEWS) Reply with quote

Ankiel to switch from mound to outfield
03/09/2005 12:14 PM ET
By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

JUPITER, Fla. -- Blame it on the rain?
As of Tuesday night, Rick Ankiel was slated to be the Cardinals' starting pitcher in a "B" game against the Marlins on Wednesday morning. By 9 a.m. CT on Wednesday, rain had washed out that game and Ankiel was ready to announce he wouldn't be pitching anymore, anywhere.

Ankiel, once considered a future Cy Young Award winner, has decided to pursue a career as an outfielder, leaving the pitcher's mound behind for good. The telling wording in a release by the Cardinals was that Ankiel "has chosen to retire as a Major League pitcher." He will begin working out as an outfielder immediately.

As a rookie in 2000, Ankiel went 11-7 with a 3.50 ERA and 194 strikeouts in 175 innings as the Cardinals won the National League Central. However, he suffered severe control problems in the postseason and the 2001 season, followed by a series of elbow troubles. Ankiel finally underwent reconstructive elbow surgery in 2003 and made it back on a Major League mound in 2004.

Ankiel pitched in winter ball in Puerto Rico this past offseason. He had struggled in recent throws in Spring Training, including a difficult batting practice session where he threw three strikes out of 23 pitches.

"Turn the page, that's it," said Ankiel. "I'm happy and I'm excited. I was excited coming to the park today, knowing it was something new. Something new to focus on. It's a new challenge. It should be cool."

Ankiel has hit .207 in 87 Major League at-bats, with a .258 on-base percentage and a .310 slugging percentage. In the minors, he hit .279/.337/.558 in 165 career at-bats. He thrived as a part-time designated hitter for Johnson City of the rookie-level Appalachian League in 2001, putting up a line of .286/.364/.638 with 10 homers in 105 at-bats.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he can't throw 90 feet from the moound what makes him think he'll hit the cutoff man or the base from 250 feet in the outfield...
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... from the OF, you're not throwing into an are the size of a trash can lid... and you only need to make a few throws per game. I like the idea of him throwing balls from the OF at 90+ MPH!
Tayster
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something tells me the name Rick Ankiel won't be associated with good outfielders.
Southpaw Slim
Kenesaw Mountain Landis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about, Daniel? In 5 years we'll all be saying, "Wow! Did you see how he Ankieled that ball!?! It was amazing!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index -> MLB All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: