Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index Oakland Park Baseball
Show up every Sunday at 10:30 in parks in and around Oakland!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sigh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tallguy
Cy Young

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Sigh Reply with quote

'Tis a sad, sad night tonight in the Bay Area, one team gone and the other as good as. Fair breaks your heart, it does.
Thanks to Scott for the fact that we can at least play all through the long, long off-season. Hears to you, man.

I have tickets for the probably soon meaningless final game on Sunday, so I'll have to skip this next game. See you all at the next one. I don't think I can bring myself to practice on Thursday, maybe I'll hit the cages.

Hey, any volunteers to host a post-season commiseration piss-up? My place is out as the old dutch is kind of a buzz-kill as far as piss-ups go.
We Want The Cup
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you are not a Mets fan. Screw the Yankees. Screw the Braves. Man, I was hoping the Giants would sneak in, and dominate the Braves in the NLDS. It would have been awesome.
TheLegend
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know where the A's can find some offense?

I know offensive numbers have been a little down this year all around the league, but we only have 2 players batting over 280... that's ridiculous... completely ridiculous!

oh well, there's always next year.

So ESPN has been saying that if Barry Bonds wants to continue his career he needs to move the AL and play some DH... sooo here's a scary thought

Barry Bonds + the yankees.

The terrible thing is out of all the teams in the AL the yankees are probably the most ready to take a contract of his size.

The thing is... the way he's been "running" since he came back... I don't think he'd make the cut for even DH duties... He's pretty much limping around the bases... it's time for him to retire
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonds runs faster than David Ortiz, so I don't think speed would be a problem---at least not a big enough problem to dissuade another team from acquiring him.

A more likely DH scenario is the Anaheim Angels. They have the money and the willingness to cover his paycheck. They play in warm weather that is much, much more appropriate than the cold in NYC or SF for his old knees. They also have people to protect him in the lineup, to make sure he gets pitches to hit (Garrett Anderson, Vladimir Guerrero).

To answer your question about the A's........... Yes, the team BA is weak. Yes, they only have 2 players with at least 20 Homeruns. But, the Moneyball philosophy scores runs in other manners. Go to MLB.com and sort team stats by runs scored. You will be shocked to see that the A's offense wasn't actually that bad at all.

And don't forget how young this team is. For the first time since I've lived here (1999), an offseason will go by without any major defections in the lineup. No Damons, Giambis, Tejadas, Mulders, Hudsons, etc leaving the A's this offseason. The reason is that almost everyone on the roster is either not arbitration eligible, too young to have negotiating clout, or is locked up in a 2006 A's contract already. So say goodbye to tumultous offseasons. Actually, for the first time in SO LONG, the A's will probably actually be BUYERS not SELLERS this offseason! The only people I expect to not be around next year are: Ricardo Rincon, Jay Payton, and Ken Macha.

Don't forget, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. The A's blew everyone away by playing so well. It was only INJURIES that prevented the A's from going further.

Bobby Crosby: It has been well documented that the injuries that stole 30 games of his playing time really hurt the A's. The feat where they went from being 15 games under .500 to 15 games over .500 coincided specifically with when he was out of the lineup.

Rich Harden: Rich would have been a top Cy Young candidate if he hadn't suffered an injury. He missed 11 starts, and the A's only won 3 of those games, including losing the elimination game yesterday. Kennedy did an adequate job, but he certainly was no Rich Harden. Harden took a no hitter into the 9th inning this year, damn it!

So the A's are going to be very dangerous in 2006, with very little tweaking of the roster. Durazo and Dotel's contracts will be off the books, freeing up dough to replace and upgrade Payton.

Next year, the season ends with the A's playing the Angels once again, but, unlike 2004 and 2005, it will be in Anaheim. I'm definitely looking forward to the A's finally getting revenge by celebrating clinching the AL West division in front of the Angel Fans, just like the Angels did to us (me) this and last year.

It will be poetic justice when the A's trounce the Angels late next year! (Note: if my prediction of Bonds as an Angel goes through, all bets are off.)

- Leo Durocher
AntMoOAK
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praytell guvnah
What is a pissup ?

Ithink Payton has found a home unless the A's use him as trade fodder.

I would like to see Wash get a chance at the reins, maybe not with the A's though as Wash is old school. Anyways Mach was given a vote of confidence by his players yesterday.

Bonds wants to stay in Cali so the Angels have the best angle to get him if he goes.Beane would not put up with his stuff. I like Durazo coming back next year. I still would like Jr. To come and DH for the Oakland 9.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AntMoOAK
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praytell guvnah
What is a pissup ?

Ithink Payton has found a home unless the A's use him as trade fodder.

I would like to see Wash get a chance at the reins, maybe not with the A's though as Wash is old school. Anyways Mach was given a vote of confidence by his players yesterday.

Bonds wants to stay in Cali so the Angels have the best angle to get him if he goes.Beane would not put up with his stuff. I like Durazo coming back next year. I still would like Jr. To come and DH for the Oakland 9.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tallguy
Cy Young

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A piss-up is a gathering of like-minded people for the explicit purpose of getting drunk. Hence the phrase used to decribe a total incompetent: He/she could not (even) organise a piss-up at a brewery.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my main goals for the month is to get my place picked up enough to host something similar to this "piss-up" Paul talks of. So hopefully, I can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index -> MLB All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: